Afe Babalola Multisystem Hospital has five departments that provide laboratory services. These include:
- Chemical Pathology and Immunology
- Heamatology and blood transfusion
- Medical microbiology and Parasitology
- Anatomical Pathology and Forensic Medicine
- Molecular Pathology
DEPARTMENT OF CHEMICAL PATHOLOGY AND IMMUNOLOGY
Chemical pathology department of ABUAD Multisystem Hospital offers Laboratory and clinical services (Metabolic Clinic). Our laboratory investigations include the following, Liver function tests, Electrolytes, Urea & Creatinine, Uric acid, Plasma Glucose, Calcium, Magnesium, Inorganic Phosphate, Parathyroid Hormone, Lipid profile, Cardiac and Tumor markers, Trace elements, Metals, Toxicology (screening & diagnosis), Thyroid function tests and antibodies, Hormone profile (FSH, LH,GnRH, Progesterone, oestrogen, Growth hormone etc), Cortisol, Insulin, C- peptide, PSA, Serum & urine electrophoresis, Tacrolimus assay, Paternity testing, Karyotyping etc.
We are also involved in academic and research activities.
Some of our equipment includes Abott c4000 chemistry analyzer, Abott i1000 immunoasay machine, Polymerase chain reaction machine (PCR), Ion selective electrode (ISE), Nycocard reader for HbA1C, C- reactive protein, Microalbuminuria analysis and Electrophoresis machine.
DEPARTMENT OF ANATOMIC PATHOLOGY AND FORENSIC MEDICINE (AP&FM), AMSH
Pathological diagnosis is critical a component of patient’s management. We aim to provide top-notch and timely surgical and autopsy pathology services in addition to excellent mortuary service.
The AP&FM department has a highly motivated and dedicated team committed to assisting clinicians in making an accurate diagnosis for their patients thus improving patient outcomes.
The department also provides screening tests, like pap smears, for early detection of cancers.
Post-mortem examinations carried out in our sophisticated postmortem room elucidate the cause, manner, and mechanism of death.
The department has a plethora of data available for research purposes.
Currently, the department provides the following services:
- Analysis and histopathologic report of histology and cytology samples (H&E, special stains, pap smears, cytology smears).
- Running Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology (FNAC) clinics.
- Autopsy/post-mortem examination.
- Preservation and storage of corpses.
- Dissection of cadavers for teaching purposes.
- Intraoperative services like frozen sections and touch prep.
- Immunohistochemistry and molecular diagnosis
MEDICAL MICROBIOLOGY AND PARASITOLOGY
The department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology is a field in Pathology or Laboratory Medicine that deals with the identification and curbing of infectious disease pathogens such as Viruses, Parasites, Bacteria and Fungi. The department is well equipped with various equipments and gadgets to investigate patients’ infectious diseases thereby proffering various anti-infective treatment options based on disease state and identified pathogen(s). Broader investigation panels are provided in partnership with Afriglobal Medicare Laboratory to better serve the patients’ needs. In addition, the department oversees the infection prevention and control programmes in ABUAD MSH ensuring maximum patient safety from hospital-borne infections.
Among the services provided by the department include;
- Microscopy, culture and susceptibility of all suspected infectious specimens from different body sites.
- Blood culture system; semi-automated machine which detects both bacterial and fungal pathogens suitable for children and adults.
- Fungal studies of any suspected fungal infection.
- Viral identification of culturable viruses in different suspected viral diseases.
- Serology of various infectious agents (such as HIV 1/2, Hepatitis, syphilis, cytomegalovirus, toxoplasma etc.)
- Molecular identification of infectious agents.